Every year, during the opening ceremony of SIF National Congress, prizes are awarded to young physicists who have distinguished themselves in their studies and research activities, and to physicists for their skills in physics teaching or history of physics research. Besides there are also prizes in commemoration of late eminent physicists for researchers working in specific fields. The selection of the winners is made by the Council of SIF or by proper award committees.
The prizes for the year 2016 are:
- Premi per giovani laureati in Fisica
- Premio "Piero Brovetto"
- Premio "Vincenzo Ferraro"
- Premio "Paolo Mazzoldi"
- Premio "Giuliano Preparata"
- Premio "Guglielmo Marconi" per il Trasferimento Tecnologico
- Premio per la Comunicazione Scientifica
- Premio per la Didattica o Storia della Fisica
- Premio "Sergio Panizza"
- Borsa "Ettore Pancini"
- Premio per giovanissimi cultori della Fisica
During the SIF National Congress, one or more oral presentations in each of the seven topical sections are selected on the basis of the interest of their content and effectiveness of exposition.
These presentations are then published in a dedicated issue of "Il Nuovo Cimento" and the authors awarded during the opening ceremony of the SIF National Congress of the subsequent year.