"Giuseppe Occhialini" Prize
The prize has been promoted jointly by the Italian Physical Society (SIF)
and the Institute of Physics (IOP) on the occasion of the centenary of the
birth of Giuseppe Occhialini with the aim to honour his memory as well as
to strengthen the relationships between the two Societies.
The prize is announced on an annual basis alternatively by the SIF and
IOP, to award a physicist based in Italy or in the UK or Ireland, respectively, in
recognition of distinguished work in Physics research carried out within the past 10
The 2018 prize is announced by the Italian Physical Society. Nominations must be sent to SIF by 15 June 2018.
The announcement and the form for motivated nominations are downloadable here:
application form 2018
List of winners
Premio Giuseppe Occhialini 2017
- Michele VENDRUSCOLO
- for having brought physics and biology together in innovative ways to make highly influential contributions to the understanding of the fundamental principles of protein aggregation, solubility and homeostasis
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2016
- Carla ANDREANI
- for her outstanding contributions to novel experimental techniques and methods in neutron spectroscopy and her tireless commitment to fostering the British-Italian collaboration in neutron science
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2015
- James Jeffrey BINNEY
- for his work on galaxy dynamics, in particular for developing an understanding of how galaxies exchange gas with the intergalactic medium and how this exchange controls the evolution of galaxy morphology
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2014
- Alessandro TREDICUCCI
- for his innovative contributions to the realisation of terahertz heterostructure devices.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2013
- Silvia PASCOLI
- for her major contributions to the study of, and leadership in, the field of neutrino phenomenology.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2012
- Eugenio COCCIA
- for his major contribution to the realization of the first long term observatories with cryogenic and ultracryogenic detectors of gravitational waves, and for his international role in the gravitational wave community and in the broader community of astroparticle physics.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2011
- Gian Luca OPPO
- for novel insights into nonlinear and quantum optical phenomena, especially spatio-temporal phenomena, achieved through the development and application of powerful techniques for small-scale computing.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2010
- Ignazio CIUFOLINI
- for providing further experimental confirmation of Einstein's theory of General Relativity through the use of laser-ranged satellites to study and measure frame-dragging.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2009
- Gaetana LARICCHIA
- for distinguished work on experimental positron physics, in particular for developing and using the world's only positronium beam.
Giuseppe Occhialini Award 2008
- Francesco VISSANI
- for his distinguished contributions to neutrino physics and, in particular, to the phenomenology and theory of neutrino mass and mixing.